1973 - BS (w/honors) Civil Engineering, Iowa State University
1976-1982 - Post Graduate Work in Structural Engineering, University of Pittsburgh
2004 - Present, Cowles, Murphy, Glover & Associates, LLP , Mobile, AL
- Structural design analysis of the McDuffie Coal Terminal Dock 1 Expansion Project including the recycling of existing structural steel abondoned by the closure of the Corus - Mobile DRI facility (formerly Tuscaloosa Steel).
- Structural modification design for the relocated Dravo Stacker/Reclaimer for McDuffie Dock 1 Expansion Project. The modification involved changing rail gage from 26' to 40'.
September 1993 to Present - Modern Engineers, Inc. – President
- Independent consulting engineer specializing in the design and inspection of large steel structures, gantry cranes, coal stacker, rail bridge, continuous ladder bucket unloader, pressure vessel fixtures and supports, customer access ramps, building frames, reach stacker booms, lift truck carriages and masts, crane runways and other large steel weldments.
- Accident investigations and expert witness for insurance companies, manufacturers and law firms involving various heavy machinery including overhead and mobile cranes, knuckle boom loader, conveyor systems, radial stacker, barge loader, container cranes and other equipment. Services include determining cause of accident, estimate of cost to repair/replace, repair procedures, depositions and trial testimony.
January 2001 - September 2002 - Advanced Automation Technologies
Contractor’s Quality Control Manager
- Oversaw electrical, structural and mechanical renovation of two (2) dockside container cranes, including review of purchase orders, inspection of all materials, final inspection of all field work and final testing of cranes.
January 1985 to September 1993 - Coast Engineering & Manufacturing Co. (CE&MCO) formally PACECO, Inc.
- Product Manager, Marine Equipment & Government Services and Program Manager, Navfac Contracts (January 1989 – September 1993)
- Responsible for directing all activities of Marine Equipment Group, including Sales & Marketing, Contract Administration and Customer Service. Responsible for administration of Navy Contracts for Ro/Ro Discharge facility ($10M) and Navy Lighterage-Causeways ($30M). Member of corporate executive committee. Coordinated the orderly completion of contractual obligations following the sale of corporate assets at the end of 1991.
- Director of Estimating Engineering (October 1987 – January 1989)
- Responsible for all estimating for container handling equipment, marine equipment and contract manufacturing projects, including technical and cost estimators. Assisted the marketing department with customer presentations.
- Principle Structural Engineer (January 1985 – October 1987)
- Responsible for the structural design and project administration of container handling equipment, gate and gate hoists, and bulk materials handling equipment.
June 1973 – January 1985 - Dravo, Corporation (Engineering Works Division), aka Dravo-Wellman Co.
- Senior Structural Engineer (1982 – 1985)
- Responsible for proposal and final design engineering for rotary car dumpers, ash handling equipment, oil shale machine, steel mill equipment, gates and gate hoist equipment and radial stackers, including interfacing with other departments, outside fabricators and customers.
- Project Engineer (1979 – 1982)
- Responsible for coordination of design detailing, purchasing and fabrication of steel mill equipment, gate and gate hoist equipment, radial stackers and new product development, including preparation of fabrication and erection specifications and interfacing with other departments, outside fabricators and customers.
- Design Engineer (1973; 1975 – 1979)
- Responsible for the structural design of bulk materials handling equipment, coke oven machinery, steel mill equipment and gate and gate hoist equipment.
- Field Engineer (1973 - 1975)
- Responsible for erection, start-up, testing, operation, repair and maintenance of bulk materials handling equipment and automobile reduction mill.
Honor and Achievements
- Registered Professional Engineer in Mississippi
- Member American Society of Civil Engineers
- Member National Society of Professional Engineers